The Navel of the Earth
Nowhere does hiking feel more apropos than Delphi, the Navel of the Earth, where ancient pilgrims from all over the known world would cross the same trail as you to enter the “Oracle of all Oracles”. Between the sun, the olive groves and the sea, Delphi has a way of making everything wisely simple.
- Cross the lush green plateau of Livadi and enter deep into the “trail of ancient processions”.
- Explore the magical ‘Cave of Pan’, dedicated to the goat-footed god and the Nymphs, and lose yourself among the natural sculptures of stalactites and stalagmites.
- Quench your thirst at Kroki springs and take in the view…The Delphic valley and the 3000-year-old golden-green olive grove sprawl out before us, reaching all the way to the sea.
- Experience a splendid picnic full of local delicacies- cheese varieties, cold cuts, exceptional wine. Mt. Parnassus produces it all.
- Enter the holy Oracle, hiking along the ancient spiral amphitheatrical trail that is exploding with wild flowers. As we take a tour of the archaeological site, relax and breath in Pythia’s ambiguous pronouncements- “Know thyself” and “Nothing in excess”, she has always left the choice up to us.
- Discover highland culinary traditions at the Delphic balcony or cool off with a dip in the Corinthian Gulf before fresh fish is served- sincerely, the choice is yours.
- Full- time services of a certified professional mountain leader and interpretive guide.
- Entrance fees to the archaeological site and the museum of Delphi.
- Hotel pick- up and drop off (minivan).
- Transport by minivan & private services of a driver during the tour.
- Private set-up for a picnic, including wine and local delicacies (full meal).
Our tours are designed to be implemented by a small, friendly group of 4-12 people. Of course we can personalize the tour for 1 traveler, 2 companions or a larger group of people.
This is a private tour. Prices vary according to group size.
All of our tours include some physical activity- it is an essential part of the Pace Odyssey experience. This is a moderately active tour. However, we can tailor it to your ideal activity level.
Hiking distance: 13 km.
Hiking duration: 5.5 hours
Elevation gain: 185 m.
Elevation loss: 740 m.
The following list informs you about the suggested equipment in order to enjoy a pleasant and safe hike.
Feel free to adapt it to your personal needs.
- Backpack (to carry a bottle of water, your camera, an extra T-shirt, snacks etc.).
- Clothing: T- shirt, shorts or Bermuda shorts.
- Casual shoes, snickers or hiking shoes (we suggest hiking shoes that hold the ankle securely- vibram type sole).
- Sun hat or cap.
- Sunglasses, sun cream and lipstick.
- Bottle of water (1.5 liters minimum).
- Trekking poles (optional).
*A first aid kit is provided by us and placed under the responsibility of the guide, who is certified in first aid and CPR.
Greece has a typical Mediterranean climate, which lends itself to mild and often wet winters and dry summers. The country is mostly sunny throughout the year.
Spring is pleasant and sunny in most of the country. The days with some rainfall become less and less frequent. Temperatures are gradually warming up but light layers are still recommended for the cooler nights.
Summer in Greece is hot and sunny. The Meltemi, a northerly wind typical of the warmest months (July and August), often blows, making the hot days smoother. Pack a bathing suit and lighter clothing, especially if you’re visiting Greece during the peak months of July and August.
Fall is warm, making it a great time to visit. Similarly to summer, bring lighter clothing, a swimsuit, and good sunscreen. If you visit later in the season, a sweater will be useful for increasingly chilly nights.
“Urge him with truth to frame his fair replies; and sure he will; for wisdom never lies”.
Homer, The Odyssey