The Birthplace of the Parthenon
You may have seen the Parthenon. However, for the connoisseurs, the true miracle begins here, 2000 years ago, in the ancient quarries of Penteli. Go deep into the famous cave and touch the cracks of the marble boulders that formed the pieces of the absolute temple.
- Mt. Penteli is a mysterious place, ruled by the marble. Traverse the slope of the Open Air Marble Museum at your own pace, and feel free to photo shoot the “stony waterfalls”, to wander inside the shelters of the quarrymen, or just to relax and enjoy sweeping vistas of Attica and the Marathon.
- We explore the quarry and the remains of the marble road to Acropolis, matching the actual landscape to the designs and descriptions of the world-known architect Manolis Korres. Here, you’re the only one to witness the story of the famous pillars, once they were massive stones buried into the mountain until they raised, shaped, and transferred in order to support Parthenon, the most precious Doric temple of all ages.
- Need some extra action or more memorable moments for the children? Rock climbing is fun, safe, and a “must” in this area.
- At an idyllic location in the woods awaits a picnic with delicacies we bet you’ve never tried before. Enjoy at sunset, along with your favorite wine varieties.
- Full- time services of a certified professional mountain leader and interpretive guide.
- Hotel pick- up and drop off (minivan).
- Transport by minivan & private services of a driver during the tour.
- Private set-up for a picnic, including wine and local delicacies (full meal).
Price & Group Size
Our tours are designed to be implemented by a small, friendly group of 4-12 people. Of course we can personalize the tour for 1 traveler, 2 companions or a larger group of people.
This is a private tour. Prices vary according to group size.
All of our tours include some physical activity- it is an essential part of the Pace Odyssey experience. This is a moderately active tour. However, we can tailor it to your ideal activity level.
Hiking distance: 8 km.
Hiking duration: 3.5 hours
Elevation gain: 205 m.
elevation loss: 385 m.
The following list informs you about the suggested equipment in order to enjoy a pleasant and safe hike.
Feel free to adapt it to your personal needs.
- Backpack (to carry a bottle of water, your camera, an extra T-shirt, snacks etc.).
- Clothing: T- shirt, shorts or Bermuda shorts.
- Casual shoes, snickers or hiking shoes (we suggest hiking shoes that hold the ankle securely- vibram type sole).
- Sun hat or cap.
- Sunglasses, sun cream and lipstick.
- Bottle of water (1.5 liters minimum).
- Trekking poles (optional).
*A first aid kit is provided by us and placed under the responsibility of the guide, who is certified in first aid and CPR.
When to go & Wheather
Greece has a typical Mediterranean climate, which lends itself to mild and often wet winters and dry summers. The country is mostly sunny throughout the year.
Spring is pleasant and sunny in most of the country. The days with some rainfall become less and less frequent. Temperatures are gradually warming up but light layers are still recommended for the cooler nights.
Summer in Greece is hot and sunny. The Meltemi, a northerly wind typical of the warmest months (July and August), often blows, making the hot days smoother. Pack a bathing suit and lighter clothing, especially if you’re visiting Greece during the peak months of July and August.
Fall is warm, making it a great time to visit. Similarly to summer, bring lighter clothing, a swimsuit, and good sunscreen. If you visit later in the season, a sweater will be useful for increasingly chilly nights.
“The creation of genius always seem like miracles, because they are, for the most part, created far out of the reach of observation”.
Homer, The Odyssey